Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Bangs

Well.

That’s more than enough of a grieving period, I think. Perhaps it’s too mechanical and impersonal, but I firmly stand behind setting a time-limit on mourning – we only live once and it’s a waste of my time to be feeling sorry for myself. Surprise, the world hasn’t ended.

I’m doorbitching at The Fringe this Friday night and I intend on remaining awake and sober for the evening. Last time I committed myself to security, I spent my energies knocking back VIP access to a drunk member of some “huge” Melbourne band, and half of Craig Wing’s self-important entourage. Yes indeedy-do, they really do use “DON’T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!” and resort to calling me all sorts of derogatory and depressingly base names. It’s actually far easier to deal with The Kid throwing a tantrum, but it’s nice to exercise my mettle amongst pompous arseholes. Anyway. After the fracii, I promptly passed over security duties to part-owner of the club night and had myself a lovely little nap next to the VIP room DJ. Not my finest moment, but cut me some slack – I’d been up since 5.30am to tend to a grizzly Kid, and came straight from work.

I must admit, the fun is in knocking back the ugly beautiful. Perhaps I’m betraying some sort of socialite etiquette by not recognizing the Who’s Who of Sydneytown’s elite, but I revel in those that think they are above the rules of this particular club night’s VIP rules – no armband, no entry. Come on – I spend 29-30 days of the month feeling socially inept and awkward! If I’m given the chance to be an openly hostile (door)bitch, then I’m going to bloody well take it. It’s no-tax-cash-in-hand-guilt-free fun.

You’d best bet that I’m going to be relentless this month – I’ve got to work off that surplus negative energy, yo.

7 comments:

urmynv said...

I guess my only question is a simple matter of mass. How do you function as a door person being as tiny a gal as you are?!

I wonder what it would be like to just turn on my own inner dick-head and lash out at people for a day.

Is it really as therapeutic as you let on?

Anonymous said...

Ron, it really is. Having said that, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about the greater group of people who can afford to indulge in scenester debauchery.

As for size, go figure. If the owners say to listen to me once they're in the VIP section, scenesters listen. They don't know what connection I have to the owners and don't want to piss off the wrong people, I'd imagine.

Dan said...

Use the elbows.

Anonymous said...

Hah, well done. People who are richer and better looking than me should suffer.

Huggies said...

Are your more likely to let a bloke who has a bird with him than a bloke with a few mates or by himself ?

Do you have to take into account the chick to bloke ratio ?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, good questions.

Borrego said...

Well, work it off then.