Wednesday, September 5, 2007

JesusFreak

I found myself walking half my trip home after dropping The Kid off with an over-zealous but harmless Jesus, who wore an APEC-ish fluro-yellow shirt. Whether it was a uniform for anything in particular is anyone’s guess, but ‘tis the season to be clearly visible at all times, lest the wrong person with a suit whispers into his lapel…

He didn’t have anything in particular to report, just wanted to know what my name was and how things were going. While I normally would’ve been quite abrasive, I’d woken up this morning with a non-denominational chirpiness and figure I’d engage in conversation. Of course, I was just a swift kick away from removing his face in the event he tried any unsavoury shenanigans, but that’s a bit of a well-conditioned fear of everything. Pre-emptive strike?

So. We were walking down the street when he said that he’d seen me walking before and that I always look sad. While that actually surprised me, I told him that that wasn’t the case. I went further to ask him what he’d think if he saw people walking down the street grinning like Cheshire cats for no apparent reason, and he just laughed. It was a bit of an eager laugh – which I wasn’t expecting – so I laughed harder and faker than usual. It was awkward.

We crossed the bridge together and he even stopped with me when I ran into an old friend I used to drink with, and waited patiently and quietly for all of 2 minutes while I did the catch-up chat. I thought that was weird enough, seeing as we hadn’t discussed anything personal and were barely acquaintances, let alone stop-worthy. Suffice it to say that I did not introduce him to my friend; I actually never got Jesus’ name but he got mine even if he got it wrong. Anyway, We weren’t mid-sentence or mid-point, so what the shit? Is it weird that I think that’s weird?

I secretly thanked real-Jesus that it was Market Day in the street mall, as it gave me an excuse to stop and start and chat with the stall owners I regularly buy my fresh and *organic produce from. The conversation went thusly:

“Okay, I have to do some grocery shopping now.”

“Okay.”

“See you later.”

“Great!”

“What?”

“Nah.”


Umm. What the hell just happened?! I can’t help but feel less enlightened for the experience, not to mention that little bit more creeped out about Jesus.


*Organic’s the way of the future, yo; nobody wants a daughter so full of pesticides / hormones that she grows She-Wang. Seriously.

6 comments:

urmynv said...

OR.. he could just be a nomal guy with good manners who was trying to be sweet? Too often the nice guys get the weirdo label. Then again, he may very well be a stalker who's been watching you from the bushes studying your sad face every day for 3 months. Who knows.

Anonymous said...

Jesus probably has crabs in his beard. And a she-wang.

Danm, now I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about crabs and she-wang. Thx.

Eric Spitznagel said...

Wouldn't it be funny if he actually was Jesus? Poor guy, everybody thinks he's creepy and vaguely stalkerish. And nobody reads his blog, "Sermon On The Mount Y'all: Just One Guy's Thoughts On Life and Movies and Whatever."

Did you get a good look at his hands? Stigmata is always a dead giveaway.

Dan said...

I doubt she will be she-wanged. You are not Thai.

Mish said...

Did the Jesus wear mandals? If the answer is 'no', then you know he wasn't really a Jesus.

Amy Beloved said...

"She-wang" made this post. It really did.